Monday, October 24, 2005

Route restructuring?


Today we finally were able to give feedback on the needs of people on our route. "Little John", the one true leader at my kitchen, called a meeting with all the ERV drivers to get information on what's going on with people in the area. A lot of drivers on other routes seemed to indicate what I felt with my route: People are starting to stand on their own feet, and although our meals are greatly appreciated and some depend on them daily, they have become more convinience than necessity. One route stops off at tent Wal-Mart, and there he said they served people who grab a meal on their way out of the store with a full shopping cart. I was glad to see that this information was filtering up to decision makers, although I am still not sure how quickly action will be taken (do route changes need to go all the way to Red Cross central command for approval?) Back at camp, I ran into Mike who said that Kitchen 7 will be merging with 34 to consolidate routes. This may be an indication that the response to feedback will come sooner rather than later.

One issue brought up by a driver in my kitchen, Cook, was in regards to workers. Currently the policy is to feed anyone who asks, including construction workers who happen to be working in the area of our routes, but the point was raised that some workers are given money to get their own meals. Cook stated that although they have money, many have nowhere to buy meals out in the field. Additionally, there are large groups of hispanic workers coming into the area who speak little English that aren't being fed by their bossess sufficiently. I noticed the same thing the other day on my run, when we fed about 15 hungry-looking Mexican workers out in Kiln.

As for route 3059, I told John the truth: The people I serve are mainly taking meals as a convinience. I hope the route shuts down to divert resources to others in deeper need. Jo, a grandmother from Missouri, joined the kitchen yesterday and I took her on to replace me when I leave. She's another veteran volunteer, having run several kitchens on previous disasters. The one thing she had never done was ride on an ERV, but being that she had so much experience it felt a little awkward training her. She should be running the kitchen. Anyway, Jo was adamant that our route was a pure convinience feed. She pointed out that when you have people who ask you what's being served before making an order, you know they are not in desperate need. On the other hand I hate to be the one to break it to my people. Most likely I won't be, since my last day on the route is probably tomorrow.

Other than that the only noteworthy thing that happened today is that MS Baa came out with two huge Mardi Gras bead necklaces for me when we stopped at her place today. She had brought them for me from her house in New Orleans, which she said was pretty much unsalvagable. I understand they are friendship beads, and you're supposed to pass them on to another friend, who passes them on, and so on. Maybe they'll make their way to each of you back in CA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home